Thursday, May 12, 2005

long-haired freaky people need not apply

I wanted to feel special for a brief moment, and when Andy and Susan called me into their office and I had to ask what the sign on their door meant ("Long-haired freaky people need not apply), I was devastated to learn that they had such high hopes that, if no one else, I (me, moe, that's right) would at least understand what the phrase meant.

Drat. Angelene and Amanda got it. I didn't get it. It had to be explained.

So, I'm still wanting to feel special. I'm still wanting to feel great. I'm still wanting to feel... well, not in the spotlight at all. I don't want to be gushed over. I just want to feel like I've accomplished something really cool. I'm still idealistic. I'm still in my mid-twenties, so I can afford to lay on my back beneath an open sky and day dream about these sorts of things.
Truth be it told, I feel as though anyone, no matter what the age, should be able to afford this sort of activity.

I work with Phyllis. Phyllis is all shades of cool. She takes me shooting every now and again at the shooting range down by her house where she is a ladies' instructor and a top member. She obtained her under graduate degree not too long ago. She recently walked away from a 20 year career to get a start in politics. Five years ago, Phyllis learned to drive a stick shift so that she could get her new car with a sunroof at a cheaper price. Every now and again I catch Phyllis rambling off on a tangent about wanting to skydive or take an impromptu trip to Florence. Phyllis just turned 64.

I'll bet Phyllis still lies on her back beneath an open sky, imagining what she'd like to do next.

I'm excited and scared for the next thing. It's crazy to be scared of what I'm capable of. Absolutely crazy.

I am kind of crazy though...

26 days until Election Day. If we don't win, I'm in big trouble.

Currently listening :
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
By Neutral Milk Hotel
Release date: By 10 February, 1998

No comments: